: Water-soluble UVA and UVB filter. Only short UVA (UVA-2, 290-360 nm) but not long UVA are filtered. Synonyms: Sulisobenzone, 1-phenol-4-sulfonic acid. Highly stable, does not degrade in sunlight but protects other UV blocking agents from UV-induced degradation. Benzophenone-4 is readily soluble in water, propylene glycol, glyerin, ethanol and isopropyl alcohol. Due to its high acidity (pH < 2.5 in a 1% solution), a neutralizing agent (e.g. triethanolamine) must be added to elevate the pH to >3.5. Yellow to beige powder. CAS
: 4065-45-6 INCI Name
- Water-soluble UVA & UVB filter. Used primrily as UVA filter
- Should be combined with other sunscreens (e.g. octocrylene, homosalate, ethylhexyl salicylate, OM-cinnamate) for effective UVB protection. Benzophenone-4 provides inadequate UVB protection when used alone.
- Does not penetrate the skin to a large degree, but enhances the ability of other ingredients to penetrate
- Helps to stabilize UV sensitive formulations such as hair dyes, hair sprays and color enhanced formulations
- Provides protection of colorants against fading and help stabilize fragrances and active ingredients against oxidation
: Incorporate into water phase (pH 1.2-2.2). Allowed use levels: USA 10% (when used alone; 5-10% when used in combination), Brazil 10%, Japan 10%, EU 5%. For external use only. Applications
: Sun care products, color cosmetics with sun protection, various cosmetics & fragrances for product protection.
Country of Origin
Raw material source
: Benzophenone-4 is prepared via sulfonation of benzophenone-3. The product is then purified by precipitation from aqueous hydrochloric acid, isolated by centrifugation, washed with acidic water, and dried.
: Not animal tested
: GMO free (does not contain plant-derived components)
: Does not contain animal-derived components
: Sunscreens are registered as API (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient) or OTC-drug with the FDA. This means that, if you want to sell products containing a sunscreen, your facility must be registered with the FDA and operate under cGMP guidelines. Further information about the FDA regulation of sunscreens can be found here
, Fact Sheet
, Certificate of Analysis
For California Customers
: Under California's Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act, better known as OEHHA Prop 65, we are required to place a warning to this product since the OEHHA believes that benzophenone (CAS 119-61-9), a substance used in the production of benzophenone-4, is cancerogenic.
This product can expose you to chemicals including Benzophenone, which
is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more
information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov