MakingCosmetics Inc. was founded in 1997 and we specialize in ingredients for making makeup, conditioner, lotion and other personal care products and color cosmetics. We are proud to be one of the very first companies in the United States that has established itself as a leading retail supplier of cosmetic ingredients for businesses and individuals.
MakingCosmetics Inc. is a FDA-registered, ISO certified, and OTC-licensed cGMP/FDA ingredient supplier. We offer a wide range of cosmetic and makeup ingredients, raw materials, and tools for manufacturing personal care products and color cosmetics. We also offer formulating services and provide a wealth of information including formulas, videos, newsletters, resources, and articles.
We are an exclusive internet-based mail order business delivering goods worldwide to more than 150 countries. Our customers include cosmetic manufacturers, laboratories, universities, spas, pharmacies, medical doctors, beauty studios, hair and nail studios, and individuals interested in producing their own cosmetics and personal care products. We are a team of dedicated professionals with various backgrounds including formulators, chemists, cosmetologists, medical doctors, and customer service specialists. Our goal is to provide exclusively high quality products along with an outstanding customer service.
Commitment to Quality
Quality in the makeup, conditioner, lotion and other cosmetic ingredients we supply is part of our everyday routine; it is part of our culture, the way we work, and why we take pride in what we do. Our dedication to quality is reinforced by our commitment to operate strictly under cGMP, or current Good Manufacturing Practice, quality standards, a standard adopted by the FDA. This standard includes all internal and external processes and procedures, from the selection of ingredient suppliers we use for our makeup, lotion and conditioner ingredients to the delivery of goods to customers.
Natural & Sustainable Products
We are committed to providing you as many raw materials as possible derived from truly natural, GMO-free, and sustainable sources allowing you to create pure natural products that are commercially not available.
We pledge to be cruelty-free. We believe that animals should not suffer and die to test cosmetics or cosmetic ingredients. We therefore avoid doing business with companies that make animals suffer for their products or supporting corporations that abuse animals. See our Declaration of Cruelty-Free Policy.
We are committed to offering you only pure organic makeup, conditioner and lotion ingredients that are certified. For that reason, our business has been USDA-certified by the WSDA Organic Food Program (Washington State Department of Agriculture).
Learn about our journey that began in 1997 when the company was first established and our accomplishments throughout the years as a leading global cosmetic ingredient supplier.
- 1997: Karin Bombeli, a cosmetic formulator from Switzerland, establishes Somerset Cosmetic Company in Bellevue, Washington, as the first company in the USA offering cosmetic ingredients in small quantities to the public with the goal that everybody can make his/her own professional personal care products at home. Products are sold online at www.somerset-co.com. At the same time, Karin publishes her first book 'Modern & Healthy Body Care' showing to a broader audience on how personal care products can be made on your own.
- 2001: The company launches a new website under the domain www.makingcosmetics.com. Karin Bombeli publishes her second book 'Recipes for Color Cosmetics' on how to make your own color cosmetics including lipsticks, mascara, foundations, eye shadow and more.
- 2006: The company moves to a new larger facility in Issaquah, Washington.
- 2008: Due to its rapid growth and expansion of its product catalog the company moves again to a larger facility in Issaquah, Washington. Dr Thomas Bombeli MD is joining the company.
- 2011: Somerset Cosmetic Company, LLC changes its name and legal structure and becomes MakingCosmetics Inc.
- 2012: The rapid growth continues and the company moves to a new, much larger facility in Snoqualmie, Washington. At the same time, the company establishes cGMP quality standards, registers with the FDA and sells Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients.
- 2015: The company expands its product catalog further and now offers more than 1,000 cosmetic ingredients.
- 2016: MakingCosmetics Inc. becomes a USDA Organic Handler certified by the Washington State Department of Agriculture. Meanwhile, Karin Bombeli publishes her 7th recipe book.
- 2017: Based on its commitment to quality, MakingCosmetics Inc. becomes ISO 22716 certified by the NSF. MakingCosmetics Inc. celebrates its 20th anniversary.
- 2018: The company moves to a brand new 23,000-square-foot facility in Redmond, Washington.